nova scotia 4 - mary

We met Mary at yet another campground, this time at Gulf Shore Camping in Pugwash. She was awesome. Checking in quickly turned into chatting about roadtripping, and her hilarious travel stories from New Orleans and NYC. I couldn't resist the adorable little shop we were in with this adorable lady. So when conversation came to what we've been doing in Nova Scotia, the portrait bit came up and I asked if she would like to be part of it. She agreed and was a little bashful but all the while laughing (I guess it's not every day a random girl walks in there and asks to set up a light and take a portrait).

So we set up, and got shooting. I tried a couple of different shots in the radius of about 7 feet. In a chair, by the kinda old school cash, and this one. I was liking what I was getting, but just waiting for a real expression, a moment. Soph and I were talking with her as we were shooting, and I got some nice ones, but sometimes it's the unexpected that works out the best. It had been just us in there the whole time, until this exact moment when I was shooting her in this position, and someone walked in the door. She just looked over at them like, "Yeah. I know. This is happening." So that's the shot I ended up using.


After we finished up and talked a little more, we went to our campsite and checked out the sweet ocean view, which was beautiful. Then we went down to the beach, dipped our toes in, found a hermit crab, and went back to edit and read.






While we were chillin, we saw an animal across the way hanging out with a couple campers, but we could not figure out for the life of us what it was from a distance. Our conversation went a little like this:

"I think it's a dog."
"No, it doesn't move like a dog. It waddles."
"A cat?"
"No, they don't waddle dumbass. And it's a really weird shape. Maybe a beaver?"
"Wtf. It's definitely not a beaver. I think its a groundhog."

This went on for a while, guessing many animals. The next day the other campers left so we investigated. It was the one thing we didn't guess. A baby porcupine! The quills hadn't even grown in yet. Soph gave it a pet.




That's it for today, stay tuned for the next one soon!

Comments

Popular Posts