website, the coppertone, polaroid, and other things

So first off, I updated my website a couple weeks ago with 10 new photos, including my Nova Scotia portraits and some others! Check it out at www.jessicadeeks.com 

Last Thursday I drove down to Toronto with my friend Leanne to see a band called The Coppertone. We met up with Nova Scotia trip buddy Sophie and some of her friends and headed down to the Horseshoe Tavern for it. There were a couple other acts that played that night, July Talk and The Dirty Mags, and never hearing either of them before I was actually impressed. Both had a good sound and performance. Then there was The Coppertone. I started listening to them in the spring after seeing a video posted to Facebook. Fronted by talented vocalist, guitarist, and writer Amanda Zelina, they put on an amazing show of bluesy, rocky, soulful tunes. You could tell she was in her zone from start to finish. I don't think anyone could take their eyes off her eyes. Not to mention she has a badass voice. Basically, it was fantastic. A very raw, authentic show; which I think is part of what made it so good. I got a cool shirt too. Definitely worth the drive, no question. I took a couple shots on my point and shoot that I added below. I'd love to do a portrait session with this girl sometime though.

If you haven't heard them before, take a listen to these while you read the rest of this post. The first is a song titled I Know The Dead from her most recent EP, and the second is a live cover of a Robert Johnson song, Ramblin. If you dig, check out their MySpace for a few more. Then just do yourself a favour and go buy both the EP and album off iTunes.





I also recently got a Polaroid camera and some film. I've wanted one for a really long time so when I found one on Kijiji I just went for it. They're noisy and big, but awesome and fun. No regrets. Will post some shots when I shoot more on it.


Found this portrait of gardener Debbie Vott from Stittsville I did for the EMC in the summer. Thought I'd throw it up, I kinda like it.


A couple weeks ago I won a twitter contest by Wonderful Machine and got this sweet t-shirt in the mail yesterday. Being a t-shirt and jeans kinda girl this was pretty awesome. Here's a quick snap of the wonderful prize. 


A while back I got an urge to paint, so I picked up a couple cheap canvases, dug out my (well, dad's) old acrylic's, and painted these. I'm no painter (wish I was), but it's kinda fun to do once in a while.


I also recently stumbled across this interesting site/blog thing, called Letters of Note. A guy posts funny/inspirational/intriguing letters that famous people wrote, never intended for the internet haha. Here's a couple by Johnny Cash. The first to his wife, the second a humorous to-do list. 



And here's a Ted Talk to end off on. Benjamin Zander on Music and Passion. Funny that this talk was next on my list to add to the blog, after I just wrote this particular post with a few references to music and all. Albeit the video is about classical music, not blues rock or Johnny Cash, it's still not a bad one to watch.

Also I have a few personal shoots in the works, hopefully I'll be blogging about them soon! Check back!

Comments

  1. awesome jess! omg imagine if you got to do a shoot of the coppertone ahhh!!! you should email when they are done their tour, i bet she'd say yes! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts