Chief Justice of Canada Beverley McLachlin

Back in June I had the pleasure of photographing The Right Honourable Beverley McLachlin for Alberta Views Magazine. She was born and raised in Pincher Creek, Alberta, and the magazine was excited to do a cover feature about her life and career.

You'll notice her standing beside a large painting of the prairies in one of the photos below. It's a work by Robert McInnis fittingly entitled Pincher Creek. She grew up on a ranch and this particular piece that hangs in her office is quite meaningful to her and her upbringing.

We were fortunate enough to have access to the entire Supreme Court building. I guess when you're dealing with the highest judicial position in Canada, it's not an issue! I had scouted the week before, and there are endless areas we could've shot. Since we'd have limited time, I decided on a few great areas that I might never have access to otherwise.

My favourite image was from the last location we shot, in the court itself.  I asked her to have a seat in her chair, and no posing was necessary. Just sitting quietly, thinking, reflecting. At that time it was only my assistant and I with her, and it was a great way to end the shoot.

She was extremely gracious and it was an absolute honour to have the opportunity to meet and photograph her.

Below are some of the portraits, BTS and the cover tearsheet.










Comments

Popular Posts