Rock Camp for Women

Back in March I released my first series of portraits with the Girls Rock Ottawa organization - Rock Camp for Girls. This past June, they held their inaugural Rock Camp for Women, and I was happy to be back taking portraits and camp photos!

This time around, I wanted to go for a different look. I wanted it to have a harsh, in your face, rock n' roll feel. I don't usually have a chance to experiment with lighting like this, so I thought it would be a great opportunity to play.

I chose to use a stark white wall with gritty surroundings, and matched that with a super hard light. I used a Profoto Acute1200 pack with a gridded head and zoom reflector as my main light to cast a very contrasty, directional light (like a stage light). To fill in the shadows a little bit, I used a Profoto Deep White XL with diffusion behind me, with another Acute1200 pack and head combo. Recently I've been using the new Profoto D2 self-contained strobes, and they really live up to the hype. More on that soon!

I used a Nikon D800 with a Sigma 35mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4, tethered via TetherTools to CaptureOne Pro.

Scroll to see portraits, candid camp photos, and BTS!

















To see the projects in their entirety, head over to my website

Oh! And if you'd like a copy of the 2016 Girls Rock Camp series, you can get it on sale now for $15 including shipping! All proceeds to go Girls Rock Ottawa! Get one here


Comments

Popular Posts