Robbie Lariviere for Ottawa Magazine

At the end of last year I had the pleasure of photographing Robbie Lariviere. Robbie is an Ottawa artist who creates incredible murals for local businesses. He uses chalk and oil based markers, as well as spray paint for faster work. His distinct style is getting him noticed, and he is now in high demand for these creative commissions.



I photographed Robbie at Roku Bar + Bites, where one of his permanent murals sits between the kitchen and seating area, and compliments the atmosphere of this asian street food fusion restaurant.



I lit these portraits with a Profoto B1X and a Magnum Reflector at camera left as the key light, creating a punchy, focussed light on Robbie. I used another B1X with a Deep White Umbrella XL with diffusion positioned behind camera to fill in the shadows and help with the transition of values.



Lights were triggered and controlled by Air Sync and Air USB. I used a Nikon D850 with either a Sigma Art 50mm 1.4 or Sigma Art 35mm 1.4 tethered to CaptureOne Pro via TetherTools to my Apple MacBook Pro in an SKB case.




Assisting and BTS by Nicolai Gregory

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work!

    Did you use a grid on the Magnum? I've been thinking of getting one. I don't use the Magnum much, but I love the mix of hard and soft light here. Will have to experiment some more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts